Everyone can use a bit of help now and then when it comes to training their canine friends! Below are a few tips to help make things a little easier!
1. Train your dog when he is hungry.
2. Make training sessions short and sweet!
3. If your dog gets something wrong several times in a row, make the criteria a little easier for awhile, then try it again.
4. Give one cue at a time (and only one time).
5. Make sure that your dog is paying attention to you before you ask a command.
6. Build difficulty slowly over time….add distractions a little at a time.
7. Change the rewards and how often you reward as soon as your dog has the command down.
8. Change locations when teaching your dog. Help him generalize the behavior.
9. For advanced training, try changing your position when asking for a behavior (sit in a chair, or lay on the couch and give the cue.)
10. Training should be enjoyable for you and your dog. If you’re not having fun, take a break for awhile.